czwartek, 29 listopada 2007

Learning Tenses - Step one - Present simple .

Present Simple .

  • PS generally refers to :

-Facts that are always true . / Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius . /

-Habits. / British people drink a lot of tea. /

-States . / I don't like gangster films. /

  • State verbs describe a continuing state , so do not usually have a continuous form .Typical examples are : believe . belong , consist ,contain , doubt , fit , have ,know ,like ,love , matter , mean , need , own , prefer , seem , suppose , suspect , understand , want , wish
  • We use the PS with verbs which perform the action they describe . / I admit I can't see as well as I used to . / and verbs describing preferences and mental states . / I believe you know . /
  • Making declarations . / I hope you'll come to my party . /
  • Headlines . / Ship sinks in midnight collision . /
  • Instructions and itineraries . (Instructions and recipes can be written in PS instead of in imperative forms . This style is more personal . / First you roll out the pastry . / Itinerariea are descriptions of travel arrangements . /In day three we visit Straford-upon-Avon . /

And here are links where you can check your knowledge :)

http://www.speakspeak.com/html/d3a20_english_grammar_present%20simple_tense.htm

http://www.madridteacher.com/Grammar/Files/pres-simp-ques-practice-hotpot.htm

Brak komentarzy: